Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Accounting Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Description: The Staff Accountant is responsible for verifying the accuracy of company’s cash balances, merchant cash balances and providing the amounts to the Accounting Manager and CFO on a daily basis. The Staff Accountant is responsible for validating exception items identified through the daily reconciliation process. As a key individual contributor, this role focuses on reconciling high volumes of cash accounts, recording revenue, and processing payments (checks, wires, ACH payments).
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Oversight and knowledge of all account balances provided.
- Staff Accountant will understand financial policies and reporting procedures, contract types, and billing terms.
- Daily reconciling of accounts including the corresponding journal entry impact.
- Develop cross-functional relationships to identify opportunities to enhance controls over cash handling and reporting procedures.
- Develop and communicate procedures and controls regarding all aspects of cash handling and reporting.
- Investigate and respond to customer payments inquires
- Assist Customer Service and Collections team with managing customer payment disputes
- Effectively set priorities to review and resolve open items, ensuring that:
- The most important issues are identified.
- The current status of open items is continually updated.
- Review and sign off on daily and monthly balance reports.
- Identify and escalate to appropriate levels of management any material risk items that have been identified.
Skills and qualifications:
- Have a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and within a team structure.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Excel (Vlookups, Pivot Tables, Sumifs & other advanced formulas).
- Must have a good understanding of cash controls in high volumes.
- Strong investigational skills, attention to detail, accuracy and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors of Science in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent (or work experience)
- A minimum of 1-3 years of cash and bank reconciliation experience
- Experience processing wires, ACH payments and checks
- Experience with Bank of America Cash Pro, Wells Fargo CEO or Citibank Small Business is a plus
- Experience with Netsuite is a plus
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus
Physical Demands: The physical demands of the position are typical of those found in a traditional office environment. Employee will not need to walk significant distances nor lift substantial weight. Employee will need to be able to remain seated at a desk for 8-9 hours in a typical workday.
Conclusion: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.